In Races

Finally home from Oulton Park Round 3 Superstock1000. After a successful test day last week, we came into the weekend feeling really good and that we could improve even further.

We struggled a bit throughout practice but believed we could make some progress in qualifying. We started reasonably and got a decent lap in but then came in to re fuel and change a few bits. Unfortunately a faulty pressure gauge meant I went back out with a flat tyre. I got back to pits as quick as I could but just not enough time to get a flying lap in. With everyone else putting in fast laps it knocked me out of qualifying, so that was our weekend over. Or so we thought.

We hung around for Sunday morning with the hope that maybe we would still get a chance to race. But after morning warm up, the grid was finalised and no riders had pulled out. 15 minutes before race start, we were told we could race if we could get to the grid in 10 mins. It was a mad rush to get new rear tyre in, warmers on, fuel in the bike and get ready. Luckily with it being a hot day we figured we could get some heat in the tyres on the sighting lap and check pressures on the grid. Having missed the sighting lap, I was too late to form the grid. This meant I had to start the warm up lap from pit lane with no chance for any final checks on the grid.

So race start, honestly we’ve struggled with starts this year. Usually one of my strong points so I was determined to make up for it. Managed to get away well and was up to 27th from 40th in the 1st lap. I ran on at the chicane a few laps in, losing the group and several places but managed to pull back a few places and was catching the group in front, finally finishing 30th. Reasonably happy with the lap times, consistently below or around my pb. We expected a faster lap time coming into the weekend but that just wasn’t the case.

After the race, once we had calmed down, Mum still hadn’t come back. Bit confused about where she was, turned out during all the rush to get me to the grid she tripped over and hurt her arm. Being tough as old boots she never made a fuss. Continued to tidy up then watch my race, then thought best to get it checked at the med centre. Turns out she has broken her elbow and now needs to go for further checks. The things my parents do for me is honestly unbelievable. I really couldn’t thank them enough.

All in all a positive end to what wasn’t a very successful weekend. As always big thanks to all our sponsors, Lee Bailey Joinery and Building, K&L Plastering, Hycross 2000, Steve Sirrell Ltd @ Bike Tyres Leeds, K&N filters, R&G crash protection, Prime Lubricants, Performance Friction, Club70

Recent Posts
Round 2 BrandsThundersport Races